Fresh seafood and lobster tank maintenance can be extremely challenging. The biggest issue is the extreme variability of the bioload. Typically a restaurant or retailer will slowly reduce the stock as it is sold off, then a new shipment arrives and suddenly the tank is at full capacity. Most experienced fish keepers will tell you that that is not a good thing as it raises havoc with your biofiltration producing ammonia and nitrites spikes.
We have over 25 years experience with servicing lobster tanks including Marineland, Universal Marine Seafood Systems, Poseidon Lobster Tanks and several custom manufactured seafood tanks.
We know that a clean lobster tank is important to you and your customers whether you are a large retailer or a small restaurant. We provide a thorough cleaning and inspection at every visit. We know that taking a proactive approach to maintaining a healthy tank can be extremely beneficial.
A well maintained tank keeps lobsters alive longer and reduces losses.
A clean tank makes a great display for customers to see that live lobsters are available and healthy and gives them confidence to purchase sea food.
An attractive display sells more seafood.
Customers enrolled in our maintenance program have fewer emergency calls and livestock losses.
At every lobster tank service, our technician will perform each of the following:
- Check the ph, temperature and salinity. We record the information is a file specifically designed and set up for your tank.
- Clean the interior glass of unwanted algae. Algae will always grow where there is water, nutrients and light. If left unattended, it will quickly become unsightly and the worse it is allowed to get, the longer it takes and the harder it is to restore a proper balance thereby keeping it clean and attractive between visits.
- Scheduled filter media cleaning and replacement. Filter media can include Carbon, zeolite, polyfibre, sponges, biofilter media and pleated cartridge filters. Carbon, zeolite and polyfibre are exchanged for new, sponges and biofilter media are cleaned on site and pleated cartridge filters are exchanged with clean filters. The dirty cartridge filters are returned to our shop to be cleaned, steralized and reused.
- Performing a 10% to 20% water change. Water quality is the key to healthy livestock. Livestock adsorb trace elements and minerals from the water. It is absolutely essential to replace these trace elements and minerals in order to maintain a healthy environment. While draining the aquarium we clean the detritus from the bottom reducing the organics and consequently the nutrients available for algae growth.
- Cleaning of exterior glass of unwanted finger prints and nose prints. Seafood tanks are magnets to children. They love to get up close and personal. We will clean the exterior glass of the tank each visit. If you find it necessary to clean the glass between visits, please be sure to not use ammonia based cleaners. Ammonia is hydrophilic and is attracted to and adsorbed into the tank water.
- Visual inspection of livestock health. We are often able to detect early signs of stress, parasites or disease.
- Water additives are not added. We do not use any additives. We do not want to put anything into the water that may not be safe for human consumption.
- Additional equipment is checked and maintenance if required is performed. This includes checking and resetting light timers, oiling external pumps, ordering and replacing burnt out lights, cleaning protein skimmers and when necessary replacing UV bulbs.
- The service record data base is updated and the technician initials the documentation signing off on the service call.
To find out what it would cost to have your seafood tank professionally maintained and free up your staff for more productive work, contact David today to book your free no obligation on site consultation and quote.